With so many dog food brands and slick advertising campaigns, it can be overwhelming to choose the right food for Fido. Here’s information on brands to avoid, questions to ask yourself, pet food reviews and recalls.
Keeping your four-legged friend healthy and happy starts with a good diet. With a carnivorous bias, dogs require meat as their primary source of food. When reviewing an ingredient list, keep in mind that ingredients are listed in descending order of predominance. The first 3-4 ingredients are the ones that matter most.
Brands to Avoid. Below are just a few brands to avoid, as the first 3-4 ingredients list grains, by-product meal and fat as the dominate ingredients.
- Beneful – http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/beneful-dog-food-dry
- Kibbles N Bits – http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/kibbles-n-bits-dog-food-dry
- Purina Dog Chow – http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/purina-dog-chow
- Pedigree – http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/pedigree-dog-food-dry
- Ol Roy at Walmart – http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/ol-roy-dog-food-dry
Questions to Ask. When reviewing an ingredient list, ask yourself these questions.
1. Is the first ingredient a meat product? If the first ingredient is a grain (typically corn) or by-product meal, it isn’t the best choice for your furry friend. If your pup has allergy issues, consider a grain-free option all together.
2. Are the ingredients sourced in the USA? As you may have read in the news, food and treats sourced from China are recalled on a regular basis.
3. Is the food GMO-free? If the ingredients list chemicals and/or artificial flavors, it’s best to avoid this pet food option.
Pet Food Review Website. A great tool to research dog food before making a final purchase.
Pet Food Recalls – An up-to-date list of pet food and treat recalls.
A great place to shop for Fido’s food and treats is at a local pet food/supply store with a focus on pet health and wellness. These types of stores employ a knowledgeable, animal lovin’ staff and sell USA-made all-natural and organic pet foods.